Monday, June 22, 2009

Are You Crazy?!?!


I really try to be a patient Mom...but sometimes I have to wonder if teenagers are really aliens in human form.

Today, Camrie's friend flew into town to help us celebrate her (Camrie's) 13th birthday. Three of my four children accompanied me to the airport to be the Welcoming Committee. Because Cassia is an unaccompanied minor, all four of us had to go through security, and on to the gate to meet her.

Half-way to check-in, my 14 year old takes one look at the packed-out security lines and says, "Oh no! I have my pocket knife!"

The nice, patient mom (me) says, "You have WHAT?!? You KNOW we are coming to an airport and you bring a pocket-knife?!?!

Realizing my patience was slipping and my voice had moved up two octaves, I breathe in deeply and struggle to control my frustration. Then I hear the sweet, sheepish voice of my 12-going-on-13 year old..."I brought mine too, Mom...sorry!"

Rolling my eyes and muttering under my breath about alien teenagers, I started scouting around for places to temporarily stash two 3" pocket-knives. There was absolutely no way I was going to let security know that this sweet, wholesome-looking family had come to the airport fully armed!!

Finally, my gaze fell upon this very young, sweet looking college-student-type a guy. Hmmm...just maybe...

Looking him straight in the eye - I hold out my hand to my teenagers who silently hand over the offending weapons. He chuckled and muttered something about doing the same thing himself before, and simply slipped them into his pocket. I knew they would be safe.

We take our place in the security line. Suddenly, Camrie begins feverishly rifling through her purse and (WALA!) out comes the 3" Swiss Army Knife!! OMW! I am just speechless...I point to the college guy and said to her, "Run!".

As soon as she got to him and wordlessly handed over her second knife...the small Continental employee gathering burst out laughing. I guess the story was already making the rounds. Now it was even better!!!

I am pleased to say that we made it home safe and sound with no mishaps. The pocket knives are...well, I don't even want to know...and I am writing this blog entry from the comfort of home...not jail! I guess things could've been worse...

No comments: