
Sometimes in life, I have to go back and review the basics. For instance, I know that 2 + 2 = 4, that forks go on the left side of the plate, and that the person on the right, at a 4-way stop, goes first. Do you ever find yourself mentally singing through the alphabet to make SURE you're placing that item in the proper order?
I showed up at my dear friend's house, in the early evening last week. The time of day right before tired husbands come in from a long day at work. She answered the door wearing a lovely, pink, flowing dress with a long white scarf around her neck. Her hair was pretty and her smile was peaceful.
As I entered her home, I looked all around. Everything was picked up and in order. The candles were lit and the lighting soft. Her house spoke to me. It said, "Come on in, Honey...leave your cares on the porch. Forget about your long, stressful day. Curl up on my couch and relaaxx."
Something in my mind struggled to the surface. A basic habit I have tried to apply to my home (and marriage) ...that lately had gotten shuffled to the bottom of my priority list, in the process of busy, busy life.
I took a quick mental trip back to my house. I cringed as I saw the accumulation of shoes by the door, the socks trailing through the living room, the junk mail collection in the study. I saw the lunch dishes piled in the sink because I simply didn't feel like washing them. I mean, seriously, I had to wash the breakfast dishes, and I will have to wash the dinner dishes later...so the lunch dishes can wait. I homeschool 4 kids!
I am justified!
I walked to my room and saw the crumpled bed...I had overslept this morning and hit the ground running! Devotions? Oh, well...*cringe*...I have to skip it this morning ...hope Jesus does credit!
In my bathroom I saw the hairspray I'd left out from Wednesday church, my PJ's carelessly tossed on the vanity. It wasn't that bad...but it would have only taken 30 more seconds to put away this morning.
Then I looked in the mirror. Ugh! The sight was NOT pretty! My hair was hastily clamped down and out of my way, my clothes were SAHM worthy and crumpled, and the tension in my eyes was unmistakable! Oh, I should NOT have skipped that MOST essential quiet time with my Source this morning.
Sigh!
Yep, I needed a basics refresher. 2 + 2 = 4. Forks go on the left side of the plate. The person on the right at a 4-way stop goes first. A-B-C-D-E-F-G...
My husband is STILL one of the FIRST people I should be ministering to everyday.
The man who has loved me through 16 years of PMS and disheveled bedhead.
What does MY appearance say to him at the end of a long day? What does our home say to him at the end of a long day?
My precious friend had not a clue that she had ministered to me in a powerful way. Not the way of criticism or preaching...but by her silent actions and peaceful example.
This week is different.
I'm placing my God-time back at the first of my day, choosing the nicer clothes in my closet, spending a little extra time on my hair, straightening as I go, making dinner with love not obligation, lighting the candles, and placing a peaceful smile on my face at the end of the day.
2 + 2 = 4.
Place the forks on the left side of the plate.
My husband still comes first.
.jpg)
1 comment:
YAY!!! you are back- great blog as per always- and I have been missing you!
Post a Comment