Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Threads


I already warned him that I was blogging his story. It was a GREAT moment.

We have a gentleman in our church by the name of Jim (names changed for the sake of privacy). Jim is VERY particular about his appearance. He always dresses like a J.C. Penny catalog.

This past Sunday morning, as I was on the platform singing, Jim made his way to the pulpit in a very sharp-looking, navy blue, pin-stripe suit. Jim was going to greet our visitors, lead us in prayer, and receive the offering.

During our song, I happened to glance down at Jim's wife, Jan, on the second row. Jan's face was fire-engine red, and she had her head lowered and appeared to be laughing. I looked around and, seeing nothing out of the ordinary, shifted focus for a minute. Glancing back at Jan, I could see she was still fighting a losing battle with her laughter.

What in the world was SO funny? I listened to all three parts being sung and nobody sounded off-key, I glanced down to myself and saw nothing out of place. I guess I would just have to ask her later...

Then...

in my downward shift...

something caught my eye.

I looked closer...inhaled quickly...and tried to resume singing normally.

I caught Jan's eye with a twinkle in mine.

She nodded and began laughing again.

J.C. Penny Jim, had come up to the platform with the TWO, HUGE, white thread X's still holding his navy blue, pin-striped jacket vents closed on either side.

The struggle to keep singing normally was intense. By stomach was convulsing with laughter.
Thank goodness Jim, (or Threads as I now call him) has a great sense of humor and didn't take his "uh-oh" moment too seriously.

I realized that what the church people saw looked GREAT...but what the platform people saw was a different SIDE.

Moral of this story: Don't judge a book by it's cover, sometimes the "ending" is all wrong!

Much love to Mr & Mrs Threads! :))

No comments: