Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Celebrate Life...Everyday is a Gift.

Today is a special day...and I almost forgot. Today marks the 16th anniversary of our kidney transplant...my Daddy and I. 16 years ago today his body was dying and through the miracle of modern-day medicine (and much prayer) we fought back together.

God has been so gracious to give me 16 more years to build a close relationship with him. I was 19 when the surgeon removed my healthy kidney and placed it inside his body. At 19, I did not really know my Daddy very well. We had been separated for many years and had walked our own paths. I was not even married then, and had no earthly idea that 6 years after the transplant, I would move from Chicago to Texas and live only 250 miles away.

I have been blessed to live, the past 10 years, just a few hours away. I get to see him every 2-3 months. He calls me at least every other day...but mostly everyday and we simply laugh, talk about life and solve world problems. :-D

Last week, he and my (step)Mom drove 5 hours straight in the opposite direction of home, knowing they would only get to visit for a couple of hours. After dinner, and the new house tour, they climbed back in the car and drove the next 5 hours to home...arriving at 6 AM. He is not only at the TOP of my My Favorite People List, but my four children are simply crazy about him and they have created many beautiful memories together.

Was it a sacrifice? Would I do it all over again? Yes and Yes! BUT, 16 years in retrospect...the rewards have FAR outweighed the sacrifice. I am the lucky one.

Happy Anniversary, Daddy. I love you. I am SO thankful for every moment of the last 16 years.
We know that everyday is a gift...and we celebrate.


bj

2 comments:

Cylinda Nickel said...

That is so awesome girl- What a great lesson for us all to learn- To be lifegivers

Cylinda Nickel said...

I miss your words- but understand the not being able to function in chaos thing- I have been frozen in dis-organization land since working from home- I am slaying that dragon this weekend if it is hte last thing I do :)