Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wednesday's Wanderlust


I consider myself a true outdoors woman. I absolutely love being outdoors. The only things I really don't care for are the roaches, spiders, snakes, alligators, mosquitoes, fleas, tics, flies, sticker bushes, poison ivy, leeches, sand, rain...

As of this morning the sleeping bags are fluffed and ready to go, the Coleman stove wiped clean, and the 2-room tent is waiting with breathless anticipation of going camping for the first time.
I am very thankful to my parents who supplied the roomy tent AND several day's worth of astronaut food one Christmas. The only thing lacking will be that delightful weightless feeling while we eat. Packed in with the astronaut food was the inflatable shower...that should be a trip!

We leave bright and early tomorrow morning for 4 glorious days communing with Mother Nature. Somehow my oldest son has gotten the idea that Mom has no limits to her adventuresome spirit. Yesterday, he had a brilliant idea and came rushing into the kitchen to share...assuming I would agree.

"Hey mom! Let's build a (HuckleBerry Finn like) floating raft and set the tents up on the river!

I had two words in response, "Um...no!"

In my mind I marveled that apparently it appeared to him that I had plenty of spare time and didn't need sleep. Supermoms don't you know...because he asked me this in the middle of catching up two loads of dishes, while simultaneously working on 3 loads of ironing and attempting to shut down the laundry mill in the garage. I've done 9 loads in two days! So, let's just forget sleeping tonight, run to Lowe's - haul lumber and build a raft large enough for a floating campsite to hold six people...in the next 24 hours!

Realizing the sometimes unrealistic perception of kids, I kept all this exasperation to myself.

Then again, perhaps I can forgo sleep tonight...it just occurred to me that camping on a water raft would bring us closer to that weightless feeling while we eat.

See...blogging is great! *grin*

The camera/video camera are tagging along. Pictures and stories will be published IF we return. Everyone have a GREAT weekend and stay tuned...

No comments: